Day Twenty Eight - Homeward Bound

Hi everyone,

Well after a nights sleep in a real bed and bacon sandwich for breakfast I was ready for the 300 mile trip back home. The weather was great for a ride up with little wind and lots of sun. I fuelled up for the first time back in the UK and it was the cheapest fuel of the trip so far... shame this happened on the final day.

After weeks of obeying the Scandinavian speed limits and trying not to get killed on the Autobhan I felt more confident to ride a bit quicker than I had been, and knowing that I was seeing Kirsty that day probably had something to do with it! The route up was fairly boring as 1) I knew the route having driven it plenty of times in the past, 2) the first turn off I had to make was for the A19 some 230 miles in and 3) there were no crazy forgein drivers to contend with.

The most noteable incident of the day was when after the first 130 miles I got a cramp in my bum!! Thats what 6,000 miles on and ER5 does to you! Maybe I should get heated seats (or maybe just a more comfortabe seat) to sort this problem out. So I pulled over at some services, ate my ham sandwichs and drank my irn bru and fuelled up the bike for the last time ready for the last stretch home.

My arrival in Whitley Bay was well timed as I got back in time to surprise Kirsty just as she was leaving work with some flowers..however, I also seemed to freak out the receptionist who must have thought I was one of her mental health clients..

So after 28 days, 7 hours and 48 minutes my adventure came to an end. I would like to say a massive non-showered thankyou to everyone who has supported me both physically, mentally and financially. Thanks to Bernie for lending me some essential equipment and to Uttley and Dale for accompanying me to Dover on day one..which seems like a lifetime ago.

As for the charity, we have now raised £1,307 which is going straight to Cerebra for enable them to do more amazing work. If anyone still would like to donate, please do as the page will be open for a while yet and every extra penny is welcome!

Kirsty and I have been chatting and think that it would be a good idea to have a mini-interview as the final blog with any avid readers able to email us questions for me to answer about my trip to gordon_stuart1@hotmail.com or facebook either myself or Kirsty..it can be anything that you want to know or have always wondered...like..did u notice a difference in the toilet paper in each country? (the answer to this, in case you wondered is that YES i did.. with Sweden ranking worst and Norway being best..lol)

Thats it for now, Ride Safe

Gordo

Miles today - 278 miles
Total and final mileage - 6,261 miles

Comments

Popular Posts