This time next year..day 6

Hi all,

So hopefully by now you are getting the gist of what I am doing and you are following me day by day as I head north towards Nordkapp, my exciting final destination.

If all goes to plan, day 5 will be spent chilling out with my buddy and being a bit touristy in and around Oslo as a 'rest day.' If not, it will be me scrambling to get to Ski to get me back on track. :)

Day 6 will see me refreshed and ready to go around another 320 miles to end up in the City of Trondheim.



This is different to previous stops because I will be camping and staying in a City rather than a village or tiny place that is not really for tourists. ha ha

I have briefly been to Trondheim during Arctic Ride 2011..as I reminisce again.. :) Like a lot of Norway, it was very beautiful and I enjoyed looking round it because it's so different to what I'm used to over in the UK.



The other thing that I haven't really mentioned yet is another problem that I had as I travelled north on my last trip..and that's the sun. Now, I don't mean that I am not grateful that the sun is there and will hopefully have melted all, or at least most of the snow. No No, that's not the issue..the issue is that it doesn't go down.. Now this is something that we don't really experience in the UK but that makes it very hard to sleep in Norway when in a tent. When I look today at the stats for the sunrise and set it says that the sun is due to set at 2259 and rise at 0335. It makes your body feel like it should be awake when its light and a very strange feeling. I was advised to take an eye mask to counteract this problem but in my mounds of stuff I misplaced it, so made do with this..



... my money wallet.. ha ha This picture was actually taken in the middle of the night so you can see what I mean. I understand that in the Winter this is a more worse phenomenon and is the other way round with very little sunlight and a lot of darkness, which, unless you are a vampire or werewolf.. this is not an advantage..

Back to Trondheim..



there is quite a lot of info about it online that I can tell you about. There is even a whole tourist website dedicated to it. Trondheim boasts that there are many things to do there including the usual walking, shopping, harbour trips..but also there are museums, including a folk museum, having the largest indoor swimming pool in Norway and a place called Munkholmen. You may well be thinking..now then..whats that? Well..I'll tell you.. Its a popular picnic area and swimming area accessible by ferry..very nice I hear u say...and it also says that executions used to happen there.. *gulp* Not really something to brag about.. but here it is:



And of course, something I forgot to tell all my Jock friends about (that's Scottish to you and me)..most towns have an Irish bar or a British type pub that thinks that by putting a telephone box and a picture of the Beatles in this makes it British..but anyway..u get my gist..well in Trondheim they have gone one better and got this... :)



For anyone that is counting..or lost count I should say..my mileage count will be around 1793 by this point. This of course does not include the countless times I will drive round in circles looking for one of the following: a. Petrol Station b. McDonald's c. Campsite d. somewhere with Wifi e. all of the above :)

And I think that about does it for day 6. Please check back in tomorrow to see what day 7 will hold this time next year.

If you would like to sponsor me on my journey and support Cerebra please go to www.virginmoneygiving.com/arcticride2014 and if you are on twitter, please follow me: @arcticride2014

Until tomorrow,

Ride Safe,

Gordon

Comments

Popular Posts