A week is a long time... when planning a motorbike adventure

Hi everyone,

Wow... what a week I've had. For those who don't follow my social media...

***Due to unforeseen circumstances relating to motorbike insurance in USA and Canada, Arctic Ride Alaska has been postponed until further notice.. another challenge will be done in 2018 in its place and a new date announced soon***

Facebook update on Monday night

Postponing my trip to Canada and Alaska has been on of the hardest decisions I've had to make as The Arctic Rider and is up there in the 'disappointing' list with my crash in Sweden in 2011 and getting ill the day after my Iron Butt in 2016.

To try and summarize the insurance situation with the US and Canada, I've create a Q&A of the questions I've been asked by all the folk trying to help solve my problem.

Insurance Q&A?
What is the problem with your insurance?
There is one provider in North America, via several brokers, who supplies insurance to overseas riders for their motorbikes visiting Canada and the US short-term. From 21st May, they have stopped providing this service, stating that they can't comply with new EU data protection legislation.

Surely they aren't the only provider?
While there are many insurance providers, none provide cover for riders who don't have a US/Canadian address or are riding a temporary import bike (which is my situation). I worked with brokers, other adventure bikers, and my large network to find a solution over a 7 day period and nothing was forthcoming.

Can a UK insurer not give you a policy?
No, I spoke to 3 of the biggest UK insurance providers and they all confirmed that they would not provide cover outside the EEA and that no-UK-based underwriter would.

Can you not just use a friends address in the US to get cover?
Whilst I have friends who would happily let me use their address, insurance cover states this has to be your main residence and if I declared that it was I would knowingly be giving false information and would invalidate my insurance

Was this an easy way out of not going to Alaska and not do the trip?
Not at all. I've been planing this trip for over 2 years and have put my heart and soul into making it a success. I worked tirelessly to get Suzuki on-board and ensure I was fully set to take on the challenge. The trip has also cost me personally over £1,000 which I will now not get back. Making this decision was tough but totally logical and sensible out.

If you had bought your insurance before 25th May would you not be covered?
In a word, no. The company has invalidated any insurance they had provided and given refunds. I know of a couple who's bike are currently stuck at Toronto airport as they had bought insurance and it was cancelled while they were in transit.

So that is that then... no Arctic Ride Alaska 2018... however, in ture adventuere spirit, I'm not going to let this bump in the road slow me down on my mission to raise money and funds for two amazing charities.

That's why I'm pleased to say there WILL be a trip to the Arctic this summer from the Arctic Rider...

Those of you who have been following me for a while will know that my long term mission is to Ride The Arctic Circle in every country possible by motorbike. I've dubbed this 'The Great Arctic Motorbike Challenge' (you can read more here).  So the setback with Arctic Ride Alaska will allow me to bring forward one of my other challenges into this year. I will announcing which it will be very soon, along with the logistics and other information available, so look out for that.

Thats it for this time. Huge thanks to my wife Kirsty for here guidance, support, and understanding in what been a very difficult decision process to go through. And thank you to everyone for your understanding and support, I couldn't have kept going without you all.

Ride safe,

Gordon



Comments

Popular Posts