October Vlog and the trip budget

Hi everyone,

Thanks for tuning in to my Arctic Ride blog.

Just a quick update this week. I've really been pushing the boat out to local companies to try and get some more sponsors on board as getting to the Arctic by bike isn't cheap. Its like an investment and the old mantra of 'You've got to spend money to make money' and that principle applies to my trip. I'm able to offer companies brand exposure by having there logo on the bike, on this website, and through my documentary. 

So far this bait has caught quite a few companies, see my sponsors page, and the support I've had from them has been great but so far only two have been able to offer me funds towards the budget of my trip.

As a Project Manager by trade, you can imagine that I have managed the hell out of my Arctic project so far so I thought I'd share some of 'management' including the breakdown of the budget for my trip.




So you can see I only have 5 different expenses for my trip. The biggest of which is my fuel and nearly half of all the costs. Due to the global fuel market and the price of petrol in Europe in general this is unlikely to go down and I'm even concerned it might go up. Another item that won't change is my road tolls, unless the kind people at Øresund bridge decide to change their policy. 

As I'm sure you are aware my trip is constrained by the fact I live on a giant island and I have no other option that 
to cross the sea at some point before I get to the Arctic. The most viable option is getting the ferry and itsnot as cheap
 as you would think. I've contacted the big players in the UK ferry industry but to no avail. Alas,my ferry costs are not going to change.

That leaves me with two items I can play with. The first I'll talk over is food. Now those who know me willunderstand that
 I am a BIG eater and on my last trip I actually lost a stone in 4 weeks (Yes even will all theburgers I ate) and even though I will be
 getting a meal and calorie intake plan from NEfit I think trying to skimpon food could end up being dangerous. If I don't have enough
 energy I'm not going to be able to concentrate as well and the riding of the bike for up to 350 miles a day will take it toll. So that leaves
 me with campsites. Luckily this is something that is variable and I'm hoping that as soon as I'm north of Oslo I'll be able to do some wild 
camping which will cost me nothing. But that depends on how easily I find good camping stops and how often I need to take a shower.

Hopefully that has given you a good insight into the financial task that I am taking on doing this trip and just howmuch 
support from commercial sponsors will help. If you know anyone who might be interested please put them in contact with me!


Also this week I made a video blog about riding round on my bike. If you are reading this online you can check
out my video below, or if you are viewing on mobile device please click THIS LINK.






That's all for this weeks folk. Keep sharing, liking, and commenting.

You can donate to my trip at THIS LINK

Ride safe.

Gordon

Comments

Popular Posts