Boom and Bust

Hello again,

Well lots has happened since I last updated. I've been very busy getting everything organised for the trip and we've now raised £940!! A big thanks to everyone who donated so far and if you haven't yet then please do.. only £60 off the big 1k target.

A steady stream of borrowed and purchased items have been making their way to biker base ready for the big leaving day. The bike came back from its service with new brake pads amongst other things. Everything was going well until 1pm today. When, after a run out to North Shields to visit Kirsty for lunch, I got home and felt the revs slow on the bike as I parked up which I thought was odd. I went in to the house to get some lunch before I headed back out to town to get more supplies. However, when I went to start the bike it wouldn't start... and not a usual ‘wouldn't start’, the bike made the most awful 'clunk' sound to which I thought "that’s not good". Engine seizure was the first thing that came to mind. I then proceeded to walk the bike 15 minutes across Whitley Bay to the garage where it had been serviced a few days before. After a close inspection from myself and the mechanics we found two major problems: 1 - My fan wasn't coming on therefore not cooling the radiator and overheating the bike. 2 - The right cylinder had been flooded with fuel as the carb had decided to stop working which is what we think was causing the engine not to turnover. So the long and the short of it is that the bike is currently being fixed and fingers crossed the cylinder problem will be fixed by tomorrow afternoon and will hold up for the 6,000 miles that lie ahead. The problem with the fan isn't so easy to fix. A new part is needed (a thermo switch for the radiator fan) which can't get posted up to me until Friday morning. So the schedule is getting tighter and tighter.

At the moment we are still on for a 10am meet for the starting line at St Mary's Lighthouse on Saturday.

I'll keep you updated on how the bike problems are coming along and keep everything crossed that I get away on time on Saturday. My ferry leaves for France at 0815 Sunday morning so I've always got the option of riding through the night to get to the ferry.

Ride safe,

Gordon

Comments

Popular Posts