3 weeks to go....

3 weeks to go..
3 weeks until I sit on my motorbike for 22 days straight...
3 weeks until I give up my warm house, comfy bed, oven, and chilled food...
3 weeks until I live the dream I've been having for the past 14 months.

It's really starting to hit home that I've actually got to go and do this.



I sat in my garden this morning, sipping away on a chamomile and honey tea, watching my cat eat some grass which she would throw back up when back in the house. I turned to my wife Kirsty and uttered the words "Sh*t, I've actually got to go and do this now". Kirsty responded with her usual upbeat response of 'You can do it' and 'You've done plenty of long rides before'.



But this time is feels different. In the last few weeks I've been feeling the weight of expectation on my shoulders slowly increasing like a worlds strongest man contestant trying to squat a skip that is being filled with liquid concrete. "I'm going to ride my bike 6,000 miles in 3 weeks to the Arctic Circle and back"... How easy it rolls of the tongue. I can't remember how many times I've said it over the past weeks to journalists, people on Twitter/Facebook, friends and work colleagues. But as the newspaper articles are printed and plonked on my desk at work,as I hear my interviews go out on radio, and as my twitter feed is filling up with online articles, suddenly I'm not just doing this for me, I'm not just doing this for the charity, but I'm doing it for every person who gives me a pat on the back or sends me a message of good luck.

Sweden, 2011
As some of you may know, back in 2011 I attempted and failed at this journey. I still managed to raise £1,700 for charity, but didn't meet my riding objective. I still remember that feeling, sitting next to the side of the road in Sweden with my bike un-rideable due to my crash waiting for the recovery truck. I felt like crap and at the mercy of my machine. It wasn't my physical condition that caused my stop, it wasn't the mental state, it was the fact that lost in a fight with a Jockey wheel lying in the road. And that's whats making me slightly anxious.

I know I'm up to the fight physically, I know I can handle the loneliness of the road but the unknown of the bike letting me down keeps running through my mind. What if I drop the bike? What if run of petrol? What if a reindeer hot wires the bike and steels it in the night? All questions I can't answer.

That all seems a bit down beat so to clarify.. I CAN'T WAIT TO SET OFF! I know its going to be the ride of a lifetime.

It has been a busy old 2 weeks since I last blogged. I've been doing lots of work behind the scenes getting things ready including buying equipment, interviewing people for my film, and following up with some of my sponsors for the final push.

Also I've been getting some press coverage too. I've had some articles in some of the papers here in the North East and some online stuff too. Devitt Insurance Ltd named me one of the Musts to follow on Twitter for bikers and MoreBikes.co.uk wrote a great article about my trip. Great stuff.

Also, I'm very pleased to announce that there is a Baby Arctic Rider on the way due in September! Kirsty and I are both very chuffed to be having a little girl and Kirsty continues to be super supportive about my trip.

A new addition to the Arctic Ride clan
Thanks for reading and please keep spreading the word about my trip.

And if you haven't already PLEASE DONATE!!!!!


Its safe and secure!

Ride safe!

Gordon


Comments

  1. Hello Gordon.
    I am a Norwegian biker and I wonder what Your route plan are? I am living just below the Arctic circle and I am interesting to know when you are passing trough my region and which route you are planning to use, the Coastal road F-17 or the fastest way, E-6? Best regards, Halvard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Halvard,
      Thanks for your comment. I will be passing through on Saturday 31st May. I plan to ride Mosjoen to Bodo that day but depending on time and weather I'm not sure of I will take the F-17 or E-6. I hear the F-17 is a great road, but also there is the Arctic Circle center on the E-6 I would like to visit. Which would you recommend? If you are free and would like to, I'd love to ride some of my route with you! If you are interested contact me at gordon_stuart1@hotmail.com and we can arrange this. Thanks and look forward to hearing from you!

      Delete
  2. Hi again, Gordon. In general, the F-17 is far more spectacular compare to E-6 but there are two minus. In bad weather and rain, the F-17 is windy and foggy on particular stretches. The other downside is all the Ferrys along the F-17, so you have to take Your time and enjoy the faboulous landscape. 6 Ferrys take some time all together. If time consumption is no subject, the F-17 is recommended. :)
    But there is several alternatives to combine the Scenic F-17 with a lot faster E-6.
    If you send me a mail to hkolsing@gmail.com we can discuss this matter and I will be honored to hang on Your tail up trough the Arctic circle region. By the way, the Arctic Circle Center is a typical tourist trap but ok for photo memories :)
    Best regards, Halvard

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts