This time next year.. day 13

Hi all,

So this is the big one..my exciting news for today is that I will be at Nordkapp today in 365 days! So it seems that the number 13 is not unlucky for some! This will be (hopefully) the best day of my trip so far. Its the place I didn't get to on my last attempt and where I can say I will be at the most northerly point in Europe and one of the most northerly points in the world! I may well be cheesy as well and scream 'I'm on top of the world...almost' ha ha If I do though, I will film it..of course. :)



My plan is to set off from Alta and travel to the North Cape, pose on the edge of the cliff and then come back and stay in Honningsvag, the closest town to Nordkapp, and I hear there is a good campsite there too.




On the way to Nordkapp, you have to go through a tunnel and luckily for me they have just got rid of the toll for this :) This tunnel cuts through the mountains and under a lake which will be amazing.



I have been looking at the roads in this area and am really looking forward to riding on them. I have been following a fellow biker buddy who is travelling 100,000 miles (Tea Pot One) and had reached Nordkapp as few days ago. His pics show the amazing-ness of the roads and make me so excited! If you are on twitter follow him and his blog. :) Here's a pic off google maps to show you what I mean:



I think that it would be great if the mountains were still covered in snow, but the roads clear, of course. I would also love to see one of these on my journey at some point. Although preferably not on the road after a tight bend.. that would be dangerous!




I think there are a few things that I need to do to celebrate this feat.. one is drink this..



The other is to eat one of these.. :)



So, like I said before I will be camping in Honningsvag.



So after my days riding, it looks like there are some good souvenir shops to go to, lots of restaurants and an ice bar (very apt.) There are also some Sami tents to see and some local culture so I think that after such a great day, it will certainly be packed with stuff to do :)

Writing this blog is making me feel a bit nervous and have sweaty palms. I mean, don't get me wrong, this will be an amazing journey and I cant wait to go, but also it is going to be a difficult one, a solitary one and even though I will be meeting new friends on the way, a lonely one. Its all part of the challenge and I will be relying on my wife, family and of course my twitter family to help me get through it. :)

That feeling of my achievement will also be epic.. its something that I have thought about for a number of years, attempted once before and hopefully will become a reality, 365 days from today.

I am really grateful for the amount of support I am receiving from people I speak to about my trip and hope that all of you will sponsor me on this journey and follow my progress. If you do feel that you can spare £1 or $1 please please visit www.virginmoneygiving.com/arcticride2014 or if you would like to help spread the word of my trip, please purchase some merchandise. ALL profit from the merchandise goes to Cerebra and I make nothing out of it. Please click on the link if you would like some: http://www.arcticride.blogspot.co.uk/p/merchandice.html

I hope u have enjoyed reading the blog today and if you have missed any of the last few days, then catch up.. :) I also have some more exciting blogs coming up, so keep watching and following me :)

Ride Safe

Gordon

Comments

Popular Posts