Day 15 - Adiós Arctic Circle

Hi,

Welcome to day 15. I've been on the road for over 2 weeks now. I'm missing things back home like Irn Bru, Kirsty, and regular sized bags/flavours of crisps. But I'm still loving this country (Norway) and the ride.

I'm even starting to get the hang of Norweigen too... HiHi (Hi), Tak (Thanks), canny (good)... Oh wait that last one is Geordie... Ok so I've still not really increased my vocabulary (except that Barn means child... So almost Geordie) but everyone here speaks English. And now that I've made some Norweigen friends who are on facebook I no longer have food instruction related issues.


Thanks for the help yesterday!

And yes, like BUPA hospital food, it was lovely.

I set off from my campsite this morning feeling fresh after a good sleep and a nice shower. Even though it was raining (which I can't complain about after 13 days of near pure sunshine) I was in high spirits ( sad face below donates dislike to be leaving te nice campsite) and ready for the long ride down to Mo I Rana.


Not long after starting my ride the rain had eased to mild drizzle. And by the time I'd caught the 20 minute ferry (mandatory along the E6) the rain was gone and the sun was out.



In the same way as yesterday, the ride was a pure joy with little traffic (apart from one dangerous lorry) and some heavenly roads. 


Today was to be my last day riding above the Arctic Circle. After 8 days in the Arctic I was leaving and the whole time has nothing short of amazing. From the roads and the scenery, to the new friends I've made along the way, the Arctic had been everything I'd dreamed of and more. It even lived up to my fears such as being bitten by mosquitoes, freezing temperatures, and nearly colliding with a reindeer (see Arctic Ride film, due Aug 2014, for that footage :D ).


I stopped into the Arctic Circle centre again to get some last photos and take my final breath of the Arctic air (for the time being... I will definitely be back).


I then headed back down a mountain pass to Mo I Rana where I planned to stop for the evening.


I stopped for a quick drink at Bimbo (hehe) but I felt I still had more in me to ride further and, with an unlimited amount light, I carried on for Mosjeon.

I planned to get to the town, do a bit of food shopping and then rock up to the campsite. When I passed through the Sentrum (town centre) I noticed everything was shut... But it wasn't even that late.. And then it hit me... A bug right in my face at 80km an hour.. Wow..Proper hurt like... It was the size of a bluebottle! Luckily, it was my pride and not my face that was dented.

At the same time I remembered one of my Norweigen biker buddies telling me it's a public holiday weekend... So that's why nothing was open.


Refusing to spend another £25 on a pizza at the campsite (I do have Scottiah blood which explains this) I rummaged through my boxes to see what I had left in stock. Besides from an apple and 2 squares of chocolate I had one item left... Porridge... Well that would have do. So I got my kettle on, and cooked (loosest use of the term) it up and enjoyed. 


I'm hoping the supermarkets will be open tomorrow so I can stock up on food for my remaining days.

Plan for tomorrow is to head South to Trondhiem (maybe further). In my remaining days on Norway I'm going to head West to take on some of the countries famous biking roads (Atlantic road, Trollstegen pass), and visit some of the grand fjords on the West coast (and maybe a visit to Betgen of I have time). After that I'll head South to Oslo and into Denmark, Germany, Netherlands and then home.

So that was day 15... Here's to another fun packed day of riding on day 16!

Ride safe and enjoy your weekend!

Gordon

Comments

  1. We were there last May on a public holiday....everything closed !!! Ride safe. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts